Chapter 9: Frayed Time - Pure Conversations

 



Chantel thanked me for killing Hersch’s brother. It turns out he had been bothering her for a while. She also accepted Graycen with open arms and Ella took a shine to him. If Ella liked him, then he couldn’t be a bad person. Ella liked me but I had done some things I wasn’t proud of. If she knew what I had done, would she still love me? I didn’t want to even think about that. Ella’s love was as necessary as sunlight and rain. It was as beautiful and powerful as a thunderstorm. Power and danger went hand-in-hand. My father was going to come for me. I had to protect Ella at all costs. For now, Graycen was our acting bodyguard. He had inserted himself into our lives as if he had always been there. I didn’t realize how much I missed my friend. Both of us had changed over the years. We changed in ways that made sense to each other. We were becoming the people we were meant to be.

“It was Ella’s birthday, wasn’t it? What did you get her?” Graycen asked.

“A taser,” I said.

“Of course,” Graycen laughed.

“She has me to protect her but just in case,” I said.

“I got a gun for my thirteenth birthday. Dad taught me how to shoot.”

“No guns for Ella,” I warned.

“You got her a taser.”

“A standard non-lethal taser. My own tasers are tricked out to be lethal,” I said.

Graycen shrugged. “A gun with rubber bullets then.”

I laughed. I forgot how funny Graycen was. “How’s your dad?”

“He’s good.”

“Do you think one day your dad will kill mine?”

The simplistic question hung in the air. It was child-like in its innocence yet the answer was dysfunctionally toxic. My best friend inhaled and his answer curled out of his mouth like cigarette smoke.

“I hope so.”

“Me too.” I hoped someone else would take care of the problem because I was too much of a coward to do it myself.

“How’s your mom? I haven’t seen Yara in a long time,” Graycen said.

“She’s alive and healthy. I haven’t seen her. I talk to her on the phone sometimes and even then our conversations are short.”

“You should cherish her,” Graycen said.

Graycen and my mom got along fabulously. He was more of a son to her than I was. Graycen didn’t have a mom. She died during labor. It made sense that Graycen attached himself to my mom, but it made the void inside me grow.

“At least she’s not knocking on my door,” I said.

Graycen hummed in response. I didn’t know what I would do if both my parents showed up on my doorstep. Right now, I had to deal with dad. I lit a cigarette. Graycen shook his head in mild disapproval.

“Still no alcohol or cigs?” I asked.

“Nope.”

“Don’t be such a purist.”

Graycen laughed and took a puff of mine. He inhaled like a thirteen-year-old and coughed like an eighty-year-old. He handed it back to me. “Yup. Still tastes like shit.”

“You’re a little shit,” I laughed.

“Don’t talk shit, you piece of shit,” Graycen grinned.

Thunder cracked the sky. A cop car pulled up the house. It took me a second to recognize him. Graycen’s dad had aged a bit but the same fierce spark was in his eyes. Earl bounded up the steps in his blue uniform. His mouth was set in a grim line.

“Dad, what are you doing here?” Graycen asked.

“Hello Daniel, I wanted to inform you that your dad just broke Hersch Waters out of prison,” Earl said.

We looked at each other.

“Shit.”

See: Chapter 10: Frayed Time