Achilles and Patroclus

 



I learned to fight for you

Mouths sticky with honey and fig juice

Spears polished in the gleaming sun

Sparkling rivers lined with orange groves

Blood painted the cobblestone and your cheeks

I wiped them away with my thumb

I wanted to lick the blood off your face; pink, wet, and hot

The very foundations of Troy can be erased from existence 

The supposed beauty of Helen is sickly compared to your salt-blue eyes

I long for your lips

The days we spent under orange blossom trees

The nights we spent slick and slippery with olive oil

Bandaging your precious hands from battle

Bronze tipped swords never fared well against you

Armor shining in the sunlight defiant and triumphant

Dipped in the holy river of Death

You could not die

Until you did

Crowned and revered in glory and rage

Turning into your ash

Our names etched in history as the moon and sun