Chapter 10: Frayed Time - Cracked Mirror

 



We ushered Earl inside. Thunder shook the house walls and rain steadily drummed on the roof.

“Still like Earl Grey tea?” I asked as I set down three cups. It was some inside joke Graycen and Earl had. Something about their names, I didn’t really get it.

“Thank you,” he said. He wrapped his hands around the mug. There was art to tea which I hadn’t quite perfected yet, but the cop drank it all the same.

Chantel materialized from some dark corner. “Who’s this?”

“Where’s Ella?” I asked.

“At her friends for the night,” Chantel said.

“Perfect,” I said.

Chantel took a seat and as Earl told her about Hersch, Chantel’s red nails dug into the denim.

“He’ll come here,” she said.

Earl nodded. “Most likely.”

“Ella can’t know. She needs to be away from here,” Chantel said.

I was glad the one thing we agreed on was Ella’s future. Ella needed to be far away as possible. I didn’t want to send her away but she couldn’t witness this type of violence again.

“Felix busted Hersh out for a reason. He’s coming for you, Daniel. Hersh will probably come for you, Chantel.”

“Not if we get to them first,” Graycen said.

Earl glared at his son. “I can call in police protection. You are not going rogue.”

“Why not? Dad, you know how they are,” Graycen said.

 Chantel’s hand curled into a fist. “I want Hersch to pay.”

Earl looked at the two of us. Broken and reforged, we were looking for revenge and closure. We wanted to end this toxic and dysfunctional relationship. Of course, it wasn’t going to be easy. This was going to end in violence. We were born, bred, and raised in blood. Our bodies were houses for bruises and verbal abuse. Chantel’s tongue ran across her lips as if she could taste how sweet completing her revenge would be. Chantel was a very different woman now. She sharpened herself. The news always blared on the T.V. and at night her face was stuck in a book. She displayed her knife skills openly in the kitchen. She was not the same woman I held an umbrella over while she sobbed in the rain.   

Chantel was going to kill Hersch. I knew it. My dad wasn’t going to kill me. But maybe, just maybe, I could work up the courage to kill him. I gulped down the ice-cold tea and almost spit it out. I had too many problems. I wanted to hide and not be found.   

“And we definitely need to hide Ella,” Chantel said.

 “Ella can stay with my dad, if that’s alright,” Graycen said.

I actually agreed. I had never really liked Earl but he was useful.

“So, what’s our plan?” Graycen asked.

“I’ll go to my dad,” I said. The words were out my mouth before I had a chance to even think about it.

“And do what?” Graycen asked.

My lips sealed shut.

“Exactly. You are not going alone to him. We are going to tell him not to meddle with your life anymore,” Graycen said.

I felt a warm tingling sensation like I got from Ella. Was it happiness? Or love? Hearing him say those words filled the void within me. We would be together.

“Chantel, I will be waiting outside with a team. Hersh will come here and you will not be alone,” Earl said.

She nodded. Her nails tapped the side of her leg. Whether she was impatient to kill or nervous about seeing her ex-husband, I didn’t know.

A week passed. I watched the trains and smoked an entire pack of cigarettes. Ella was at Earl’s house. It was Monday night. Graycen and I drove down to my childhood home. Dad was practicing martial arts in the basement. It was set-up like a gym, complete with weights, a wooden training dummy, and a punching bag. The smell of chalk, sweat, and wood slapped me. The iron-tang of blood seeped from the corners of the room. I was reminded of the days when dad and I would practice down here. He and I would wrap our hands in cloth. We would spar and sometimes his fists would find my ribs. Cracked bones were a common occurrence. I would strain lifting weights and moving the equipment. This basement held a lot of pain and grit and disappointment.

Dad’s eyes met mine and crinkled in the corners as he smiled. “Hey Daniel.”

“Hey,” I said.

“What brings you here?” he asked.

“You. What do you want? I did your dirty work by getting rid Ricky. I’m done. I came here tonight to tell you to stop meddling with my life,” I said. I was sure I sounded even more scared than I felt.

Dad stepped forward and before Graycen could draw his gun, my friend hit the wooden floor. He was unconscious. Dad stepped into my personal space. His breath reeked of alcohol and his eyes were glazed. I was fucked. Even slowed down by the alcohol, my dad was still stronger than me. He grabbed me by the collar. My breath seized in my lungs. Rotating images of fists, neon bar signs and slow-motion rain spun in my mind.

“Why? Why did you break Hersch out of prison?” I asked.

“Most of the White Cobras are Ella’s family. You’ll never guess who their original leader was,” dad said.

“Hersh Waters? The pot belly drunk?” I asked.

“He wasn’t always a lazy-ass idiot. A good twenty years ago, he created the White Cobras. Then, a few years later, his slime-ball brother Ricky took it over. Hersh and I used to be friends back in the day. I figured I owed him one since he kept me out of trouble.”

Small pieces of my childhood clicked together. “Is that how you always avoided being arrested? I thought you bribed the cops.”

Dad smiled. “What can I say? Everyone loves me.”

I didn’t even have the words to describe what a jackass I thought my dad was. There was no way he would ever be out of my life. I didn’t know why I thought I could face him.

“Anyways, thanks for stopping by. We should grab dinner sometime.”

“Dad, I mean it. I have to protect Ella. I can’t be your errand boy anymore,” I said.

He clapped a hand on my shoulder. “Come for dinner sometime.”

I watched as he walked away.

See: Chapter 11: Frayed Time