Chapter 19: Frayed Time - Tough Love

 



Mom had lied to me. She had wanted to get close to me but ended up hurting me. If she wanted to spend time with me, she should have just said so. Instead, she played the cancer card. She lied to me because she knew I hated her. It didn’t matter how much she loved me; it wouldn’t fix our problems. You can harm the ones you love. Not in the “I like to cause you pain” way, but in the subliminal way. No matter how much you try to avoid causing them harm, you will. To love someone or to be loved is to cause pain; emotional, physical, and mental pain. Because that’s what love is; it’s a form of great suffering. No matter how hard you try to avoid causing your loved one agony, you will. It is inevitable as the sunset’s brilliance. I knew this. This is why I pushed everyone away from me. This is why I broke things off with Graycen all those years ago. Relationships were burdensome.

Growing up, I think I had a fear of abandonment. I was always lied to and it translated into my relationships and jobs. Maybe the person you were with was lying to you this whole time. The affirmation of love slowly decreased until there was nothing but ash. A sense of desperation so intense that you will mold yourself into whatever they want. You only want them to be happy. You don’t want them to leave you because that small scrap of love that they throw your way is all you are going to get. You fear that no one will ever love you again. In a way, that’s true. The person who was so cruel to you now, once knew you so intimately. They knew your deepest fears and most shameful secrets. They knew the thoughts that ran through your mind at four in the morning. They knew how to comfort you and that’s the reason they knew how to break you. You would do anything to keep the cage because a gilded cage is better than an iron one.

I understood why Chantel didn’t leave Hersch. I understood why I was so attached to Ella. Ella’s light was addicting. She offered peace and hope and truth. Chantel was so strong even though she was plagued by nightmares and depression. Ella was there through it all. I simultaneously wanted her validation and didn’t want it. I was my own person but I loved Ella. I was so confused. In a way, I was playing pretend. If she knew the real me, she would leave me. If she knew all the things I had done, she would turn me in to the police. Graycen would just be disappointed in me. He knew the real me. He accepted the real me but sometimes he didn’t approve of my actions. Killing Ricky wasn’t a shining moment in the history of our friendship. I trusted Graycen. I could only hope that he trusted me.   

It was so utterly terrifying. You show your most vulnerable parts to someone, you trust someone, and they can betray you. A freight train can go through that trust and it will never be returned. You will be forever harmed. Letting yourself be vulnerable like that is so completely terrifying that I didn’t want to fall in love. The light touch of fingers on your neck can suddenly hook around your throat and squeeze. The powerful arms that keep you safe can pin you down. The person you love can transform into a monster and there’s nothing you can do about it but hope that it does not happen. Or worse, they could turn into an apathetic creature. The day they stop loving you. I supposed it isn’t really a specific day. The love leaks away slowly like air out of tire. You only notice when it’s gone, you never notice it leaving.

Would Graycen leave me? Would he slowly fade out of my life or would it be sudden? If Ella left, I think I would be okay. If Graycen left, that would break me and he knew it. What I was about to do would test our relationship to the maximum. Would he stand by me? Would Ella and Chantel? I watched the trains. They comforted me. My cigarette smoke trailed in the wind and the sparks landed on the concrete.

I confronted mom. I asked her to give me the cancer reports. After an hour, she broke down in hysterics. She started crying and raging that she wanted to spend time with me by any means possible.

“How could you say something like that?” I asked.

Ella peeked her head out from around the corner. Mom grabbed her upper arm and dragged her into the middle of the room.

“Do you see what he’s doing Ella?” mom yelled. Ella flinched and lightning raced through me.

“Don’t drag her into this! You lied to me!”

“I did it because I love you! Don’t I love him, Ella? Tell him!”

“That’s enough!” Chantel screamed. She marched into the living room and slapped my mom. The silence echoed. Mom cupped her cheek. It was turning red.

“I want you out of my house.”

Tears streamed down mom’s face. I didn’t have an ounce of compassion for her. She deserved the pain she was feeling. It didn’t matter what her “good” intentions were, she paved the path to her own hell.

“I can’t believe my own son would treat me this way,” she choked out.

“What do you mean? You know exactly why I’m treating you this way. You lied about having cancer. You want to manipulate me and take control of my life,” I said.

“Get out,” Ella said.

We all stopped and stared at her. Ella’s face was set in resolve and her gaze was locked on mom. I could hear mom swallow. She reached a shaking hand out towards Ella.

“You poor, sweet, innocent thing. They are trying to take you away from me,” mom said.

This time I slapped mom. Blood streamed from the corner of her mouth.

“Ella isn’t yours,” I hissed. I was so angry. It was taking all of my self-control not to pound her into the ground. This was what I was afraid of. Mom wanted to take Ella away from me. Mom always needed massive amounts of attention. She was jealous of me giving all my attention to Ella. She blamed Ella as the reason I barely called her. The truth was I wanted to stay as far away as possible from mom. Her mental problems were too much. She was in and out of the asylum and she had never taken medication. Growing up with her was hell. Mom couldn’t face the fact that she fucked up by leaving and that she was a fucked-up person. It was the same reason dad would never quit drinking. It meant owning up to your mistakes and admitting you had a problem. Mom was an indescribable problem.

“She’s not yours either. She’s the daughter of Hersh Waters and this slut,” mom said, gesturing to Chantel.

“Don’t you dare talk about Daniel or my mom like that!” Ella said. The fury in her voice made me inspired. She was defending me. I was worthy of her anger.

“Grow up little girl. Your parents are pathetic people who have made terrible life decisions. I mean, for God’s sake, they had you,” mom grinned manically.

Tears pooled in Ella’s eyes. That was it. I grabbed mom’s upper arm and dragged her outside. Ella and Chantel shadowed the doorway. The night was cool and the grass was wet. I’m sure if I looked up stars would’ve decorated the sky like gems, but I only had eyes for the woman who birthed me.

“If I ever see you around her again, I will kill you. I’m going to have Graycen put a restraining order on you. You are never to get near my family again,” I said.

“So, these people are your family? They aren’t even related by blood. I’m your family. I’m your mother,” she said.

“No, you’re not. You are a miserable, psychopathic lunatic. I wish you weren’t my mother. I never want to see you again.”

She ran and grabbed my shirt in desperate fistfuls. I shook her off and she fell to the ground.

“I hope you really do get cancer. I won’t be coming to your funeral.”

I shut the door behind me. I had finally done it. I faced my mother and I had survived. She wouldn’t bother me or Ella anymore. I dimly wondered if I could face dad. I didn’t realize I had the courage to face mom. It was all because of Ella. She gave me the strength I needed.

See: Chapter 20: Frayed Time - Salvation or Damnation