Chapter 18: Frayed Time - Sadistic Lightning

 



I decided to eat dinner at dad’s place. Just me and him. No Graycen or Ella or dad’s buddies. I let myself in the house and sat down at the table.

“Hey dad,”

“Hey Daniel,”

I looked at the plate. Steak and potatoes. Dad’s favorite. In my opinion, it was a basic meal. I preferred Italian food. The finer ingredients of dried chili and parsley combined with truffles and squid ink pasta was genius. There were so many combinations and all of them tasted good. I shoveled the dry potatoes in my mouth and hated my life.

“How’s Ella?”

“She’s good. She is taking art classes and enjoying spending time with mom,” I said.

Dad’s lips set in a grim line and his forehead crinkled. “I heard.”

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I don’t like your mom spending time with Ella,” he said.

“I don’t either. I’ve talked to her multiple times but you know how she is,” I said. I speared the steak with my fork. This plate needed vegetables.

“Should we do something about it?” dad asked.

My heart sped up. I could feel my chest heaving as if I had vaulted a fence. I wanted mom gone more than anything. Ella would stop being annoyed at me and Graycen’s self-righteous ass would finally shut up about the importance of family.

“But mom is already dying. Why not just wait it out?” I asked.

Dad shrugged and slowly drank his wine. “You’re itching to do something. I can see it.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. Maybe dad would send me on one of his “missions”. When I was younger, he would frequently give me dangerous tasks. I would rob the liquor store or beat up a gang member or bribe the cops for him. I would play poker and smoke cigarettes in some crappy basement and bring back the winnings. It was fun. Ella would hate it. Ella would hate to see me like this. Ella was my conscience. But dad was always supportive of me in his weird, messed up way. I wanted to leave him but couldn’t. I think I actually liked the way he treated me. It was familiar. I was used it. I hated domesticity. I hated having a child. I loved Ella but I hated taking care of her. I hated molding her into a good person. I sometimes wondered what would happen if I gave her alcohol and cigarettes and trained her. I wondered if she would become like me. But I wanted Ella to have the life I never had. A safe life.

“I thought about slipping pills into her tea,” I admitted.

The surprise on dad’s face was so funny.

“Why didn’t you?” he asked.

“Ella would be sad,” I said.

I could see dad come to an understanding. He sipped his wine and chewed on his steak.

“Ella is just a teenager. She doesn’t know right from wrong and she doesn’t control you. You control her. You are older and must guide her. I’ve always guided you, right?”

There was a beat of silence. “Right.”

Dad dabbed his mouth and folded his napkin. “Look Daniel, you are her father now. You need to make some tough decisions and that means doing things your child will not like. They don’t know what’s best for them.”

“I just don’t see the point of killing her when she’s already dying. She’s in such a state.”

“She’s lying to you, son.”

“What?”

Dad leaned forward and lowered his voice. “Have you seen any cancer reports? Any tests?”

I shook my head no. The thought that she was lying had crossed my mind.

“This is another one of her episodes. I checked at the hospital,” dad said. He got up and went to the kitchen drawer. He rummaged around before tossing papers at me. On the front page it had mom’s name and birthday. They had run a battery of tests a few weeks ago. Stamped in big red letters at the bottom of the page was the word: negative. Everything was negative. Every mole, discoloration, lump, fluid, and hair had been tested and there was absolutely no sign of cancer. She was perfectly healthy. Maybe I imagined her frailness. I believed her story so strongly that I saw what I wanted to see. I had deluded myself. I think deep down I wanted to repair my relationship with her. But this utterly destroyed any shred of hope I had for us.

Dad put his hand on my shoulder. “I was shocked when she reached out to me. I decided to double-check and I went to the hospital and asked for her records. I cross referenced them with her psychological records. She’s completely lost her marbles. She’s a danger to everyone, Daniel. Remember the time she was convinced the mailman was in love with her? Or when she became obsessed with wearing only red shoes? Or that time she manipulated your teachers into thinking you were a druggie? She might do the same to Ella. She’ll get close and guilt trip her and claim to be a victim. I mean, there’s a reason we separated.”

Electricity charged through me. “You guys didn’t separate. She abandoned us.”

“Right, sorry. It’s just hard seeing your mom like this. I think she should go to the mental asylum. It would really help her,” dad said.

“She’ll just leave again,” I said.

Dad sighed. In that moment, I noticed his age. His hair was starting to gray or he had stopped coloring it. His skin had spots on it and his stomach was showing. When had dad gotten old?

“Ella cannot be your conscience,” he said.

“What do you mean?”

“Ella is controlling you. You are too worried about what will happen if she hates you. But so what if she does? From what you’ve told me, you don’t want her to be disappointed in you. But at the end of the day Daniel, she is just a child. You are looking for her approval, just like you look for mine and mom’s.”

Was he right? Did I just constantly need validation? Would I take validation from anyone like a dog?

“You need validation from yourself. I’ve always taught you the right things. You know what to do and I trust you,” dad said.

He was right.

See: Chapter 19: Frayed Time