Chapter 17: Frayed Time - Batteries

 



Mom was cooking for me. I couldn’t remember the last time I had tasted her food. She made pancakes for dinner and it tasted like rainbows. Something inside me unraveled and I put down the knife and fork.

“Hey mom,”

She looked up at me. “Yes, Daniel?”

“Thanks.”

“What for?”

“For making dinner and for trying to be friendly. It doesn’t excuse everything you did but it does soothe the sting,” I said.

Now she put down her knife and fork. “I didn’t do anything. Your father is the one that raised you to be like this.”

“That’s exactly why I’m mad at you. You could’ve prevented this,” I said.

“If I raised you, you would have never met Ella,” mom said.

I didn’t know what to say. Was she right? I did like the small family I had with Chantel and Ella. But it had become boring. I craved something more than a family. I wanted action and adventure. I wanted violence and fire.

“Maybe you’re right, but that doesn’t mean what you did was justified,” I said.

“It was plenty justified. You will never know the hell your father put me through,” mom hissed.

“And you’ll never know the hell that you put me through. Dad was there for me. Dad made me strong. He helped me. But you…I don’t have the words.”

“So what? I was a coward. Get over it.”

“I can’t,” I said.

“Then go fuck yourself you entitled piece of shit. I don’t owe you anything,” mom said.

Before I knew what was happening, I had slapped mom. She laughed.

“Like father, like son.” She fell to the floor in hysterics.

I understood why dad drank. Mom would have an episode and he would drink to cope. To get her to snap out of it, he would hit her. The guilt made him drink more. The cycle continued. I helped her up and guided her to the couch. I heated chamomile tea and she sipped it until she fell asleep. I exhaled and the clock ticked to nine. Ella and Chantel would be back by eleven. They went out to eat. I looked at mom sleeping peacefully on the couch and thought about slipping some pills into her next drink. But Ella wouldn’t like that. Ella was my conscience. I had tried so hard to keep myself in check but it was getting harder and harder. Maybe I should’ve joined Ricky’s gang. I wanted to feel power like I did when I was younger. I would get into lots of fights and I loved it. I needed to do something with my energy before it consumed me.

 See: Chapter 18: Frayed Time