Creativity in Adulthood

 


Growing up in the art world, competitive nature and imposter syndrome reign free. Art changes as you grow up. All my friends did portraits and fine detail work, which I suck at. My jealous ass really wanted to compete. I do not have the raw talent of my friends. Art needs raw talent. I took professional classes, all of which are pointless because they don't really teach you how to use the material. They don't teach you the difference between cheap and expensive materials or basic techniques. They also don't guide you on how to express an idea. I think some sort of guide would be interesting. How do you convey a feeling into physicality? 

I cannot express myself physically through art. I express through writing. I excel in writing, probably because I read so much. I'm an intellectual at heart.

I think in an era of short form content and scrolling and adulting, there is no time for art. I'm exhausted when I come home from work. But then I realized all the new things I have learned. My creativity transposed into cooking and gaming and this very blog. Instead of lengthy novels on Amazon, (because my college self only thought an author was someone who writes novels), I write blog posts. Even micro-blogging is being an author. Cooking and gaming and journaling are all forms of creativity and I think its not acknowledged in the same way as something like acrylic painting or sketching or sculpting. 

My relationship to art has changed. It has grown. I see art in places that are not traditionally considered art. I think I tried to prove my talent through art when that was not where my talent lied. I consider writing a form of art and I'm better at that than painting. I envy the raw, natural talent honed by others. Obviously, practice helps. As you grow and change and your perspective on life changes, the way you view and relate to art changes. The way you create changes. Be creative!