Sun-Dappled Shadows

 



You start to notice the details

The sun-dappled shadows of the house

The fly twitching and crawling its way across the floor

The way the wind hits your garden flowers like an abusive lover

You count rain droplets on your windows

Life whizzes by in an instant - kid school schedules, one last drink, one-pot meals, unfolds into a long exposure photograph

As a kid, adults were boring, but now you understand their life wasn't boring, just detailed like a mosaic; each piece an important, bigger part of a whole picture that cannot be seen until finished

The mental prep of everyday living

Consuming our own thoughts like food

Wrestling with propriety notions of need

Each heartbeat a dark cherry red moment

You notice the veins on your hands seem more vine-like and your skin the texture of leather as if you are a tree 

With experience comes stubbornness of thought - you know what you like, you do not need to try new things when your imagination and senses have stretched into innate understanding

 I'll cook my meals at home, thanks. The chef puts too much oil as if he personally wants to clog my arteries

Working with your hands feels good instead of staring dumbly at the screen

I yearn for connection but I am invisible 

Patronized as cute instead of wizened 

I thought Elders were respected 

But the world has developed

We do not hang chili's on the doorway to ward off spirits - we take a Tylenol instead 

I wonder how many spirits roam the Earth in crevices untouched by man

I wonder how far the Ocean depths go and what manner of strange creature we have not discovered

I creak and crack and ache for mental fortitude of my ancestors 

I watch the fly finally crawl into the shadowed corner 

The sunlight breezes through the curtains and with a gust, its gone