Chapter 7: Frayed Time - Hell is People

 



Graycen hadn’t changed at all.

“Hey,” he said.

“What’s up?” I asked. I wished I had a cigarette.

“I need your help.”

“’How did you find me?” I asked.

“My dad’s a cop, dumbass,” Graycen said.

How could I have forgotten? My idea of law enforcement had changed over the years. I loved to annoy the cops. I was always getting in trouble with them. Graycen always got me out. Because of him, I had never been arrested. But he betrayed me. Graycen almost had my dad arrested. I was scared of having kids for so long because of him. It was all his fault.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“Your dad is looking for you,” Graycen said.

I wanted to hit something. I knew it. Nothing good ever lasted long. My dad and my friend were double trouble. The only thing that would turn this into a triple threat was if my mom was looking for me too. I wanted to jump on a train and not look back. I wanted to take Ella and run away from my life here.

“What is it now?” I asked. Dad asked for a lot of things over the years. Mostly money and alcohol. He beat up anyone that got close to me. Graycen was the only one that had stayed by my side. I hadn’t seen him since the day he almost had dad arrested. I wished I hadn’t stopped him.

“He wants money. More specifically, ten-thousand dollars,” he said.

“I don’t have that much,” I said. What kind of fucked-up excuse was he giving now? Did he take out a loan against the house? Did he gamble away all his money? Did he need it for the hookers? Did he owe another gang? Did he kill someone and need bribe money? The possibilities were endless.

“He owes Ricky. Word on the street is your dad borrowed from Ricky to bribe some cops. Ricky sent someone to collect and your dad beat the living shit out of him. The dude was sent to the hospital and died of his injuries two days later. Now, Ricky wants his head or ten-thousand dollars.”

“That’s not my problem. Why are you getting me involved in this?” I asked.

“Because your dad offered you as collateral.”

“What the fuck are you talking about?”

“Your dad found a middle ground. He said you would work for Ricky instead so he doesn’t have to pay him back. Ricky agreed.”

“My dad signed me up for a gang? That too, the White Cobras?”

“Yeah, you have to go or pay ten-thousand,” Graycen said.

“And how’d you find out about this?” I asked. I wanted to stomp and cry and drink my problems away.

“My dad led a raid on one of their hideouts,” Graycen said.

“Of course, he did,” I said.

“Hey, I’m trying to warn you. We both know your dad. He’ll find you. He’ll send people here. And it looks like you’ve built a life for yourself.” Graycen gestured to the yellow house. Fresh marigold and jasmine scented the air. My life was so different. I was different.

“I suppose I have,” I said.

“The docks at eleven,” Graycen said.

After dinner, I talked to Chantel and told her what was happening. We had made an agreement years ago; we wouldn’t talk about our past unless it came up or could threaten this modicum of a life. Chantel asked if she should come but I said no. Chantel would only cause problems. I had to this myself. I looked to Graycen, well maybe not totally by myself. Dark blue water lapped at worn wooden docks. The night was clear and crisp. The moonlight saturated everything in an opalescent glow. There was Ricky in his stupid jean jacket and gelled hair. Across from him was dad. Everyone always has one image of a drunkard; someone like Hersh Waters, a pot belly and flushed face. No one thinks of a CEO or an athlete or a successful person as an alcoholic. It’s always some hobo or sad old dude. My dad was so deceiving. It was the perfect cover really. He was muscular and strong. He lifted weights and did martial arts. I knew he had to have his brass knuckles on him.

“Hey kid, I’m Ricky.” I didn’t like his eyes.

“Ricky, my dad made a mistake. He’ll pay the ten-thousand,” I said.

“I’m not paying anything. You are going to be working for Ricky,” dad said.

“I’m not working for Ricky,” I said. I didn’t want to be a part of his gang. My dad was already bad enough. I didn’t need another asshole in my life.

“If you aren’t going to work for me, then get the money,” Ricky said.

I stopped. Sweat pooled at my lower back. My dad knew I couldn’t afford ten-thousand dollars. Just what was he up to? Graycen looked at me. Graycen always carried a gun. I shook my head. I did not come here to kill anyone. Ricky had most of his gang here. I spotted some of my dad’s men in the shadows earlier. I didn’t want this to turn into a gang war. If that happened, I’d definitely be caught in the middle of it. This was going to go to shit. Why did he borrow money from Ricky?

“I don’t have money. My dad doesn’t either. He’s not even my dad. He doesn’t deserve to be called that after how he’s treated me,” I said.

“That’s a shame. I heard you’re a dad now. Wouldn’t want anything to happen to your little girl, would you?” Ricky asked in a falsetto voice.

Cold water ran through my heart. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said.

“What’s her name? It’s something pretty. Oh right…Ella,” he said.

This piece of trash was not allowed to speak her name. But how did he know about her? I fingered the stun gun and taser I had strapped to my waist. “How do you know her name?”

“She’s my niece,” Ricky said.