Chapter 4: Frayed Time - Sunshine Vision

 



I couldn’t remember the last time I woke up to the smell of pancakes. The sizzle of bacon filled the small space. So much for a house filled with silence.

“Hey! Mr. Daniel, why are you still sleeping?” Ella shouted.

“Ella,” Chantel admonished.

I sat up and Ella was busy stuffing her mouth. I pulled out a chair and sat next to her. Chantel handed me a plate of pancakes and bacon. I laughed. She had drawn a smiley face with chocolate syrup. It was silly but I didn’t want to cut into it. It was like those colorful band-aids mom would put on me after a fight. It didn’t mean anything by itself, but it took away the pain. Pain was the one constant in my life. My fingers twitched for a cigarette. I needed a good smoke.

“Mr. Daniel, eat your food,” Ella said.

My Ella, so sweet and caring. The pancakes were fluffy and buttery. Perfect. Chantel was a great cook.

“I’m sure we’ve stolen you away from your family or girlfriend so please apologize on my behalf,” Chanel said.

I shook my head. “No. No family or girlfriend.”

Chantel pursed her lips. They were bright red, almost obnoxiously so. She examined her chipped and broken nails. I swore I saw dried blood under them. She caught my gaze and folded her hands in her lap.

“What do you do, Daniel?”

I swallowed. The buttery taste transformed to ash. For the first time in my entire life, I cared about someone. Chantel was the only way I would be able to see Ella. She was the gatekeeper of my heart.

“I’m currently unemployed. I’m looking for a job. I used to be an electrical repairman. I can fix anything involving wires or electricity.”

Chantel drummed her non-existent nails against the worn, wooden table. She should get them painted light purple. “Right now, I work at a telemarketing company but I used to do other kinds of selling when I was younger.”

She subtly gestured to her body. Ella was blissfully unaware. I wondered how much the little girl really knew of what went on between her parents. What was the extent of the abuse? The thrown bottles and covered-up bruises and broken trust would’ve seeped into her body and become comfortable. Ella’s dishes clattered as she put them away. She was so smart; already doing what needed to be done without being told. She ran to the couch, reached behind it, and pulled out two dolls. She sat down and quietly played with them. They didn’t have clothes and were covered in marker. I could afford new dolls and some new toys for Ella. I didn’t have any toys growing up. I really wanted a bright red fire truck. Maybe Ella would want one too.

“I recently applied to some jobs so I should hear back from them soon,” I said.

Chantel leaned back. “Until you hear back from them, why don’t you fix some things around here? I have a toaster and fridge that doesn’t work. The lights also go off from time to time.”

She wanted me to hang out here? I supposed I was a better replacement for a guy than her husband. I nodded. Ella was here. I would be here.

“I’ll come back tomorrow. For you and Ella, my services are free.”

See: Chapter 5: Frayed Time