Chapter 21: Frayed Time - Moonstruck

 


The years passed and dad became invested in my life. After mom died, he was the only family I had. Graycen made me promise to never live with him. Dad would still get hammered every night. However, Graycen said it was okay for him to visit from time to time. I loved Ella and Graycen and our little family.

The buzzing in my blood for something more was still there. It had calmed somewhat but it was always there in the back of my mind. I wanted the violence and the anger. Luckily, Chantel filled that void for me. Her depression had gotten worse over these years and Chantel was unemployed with no motivation to try to find a job. Ella largely ignored her mother which I think made the problem worse. Chantel was riddled with guilt thinking she was ruining Ella by being jobless and that it was her own fault that her daughter wasn’t speaking to her. I hated to tell her that her thoughts were true.

 I had been spending most of my time helping Chantel find a job. Graycen and I were raising Ella and doing a fine job at it. We didn’t need Chantel. She was becoming annoying. She was always moping around the house and never contributing. The woman who once had a spotless house was now “too tired” to clean. The woman who cooked amazing meals now couldn’t get out of bed because she had a “headache”. I really wanted to tell her that she could just sit in her own misery and fuck off but Graycen told me that would be a bad idea. I reluctantly listened to him.

Graycen was my saving grace. Ella was getting harder and harder to control. She was seventeen and learning how to drive. Driving was an important life skill. It meant freedom and being able to go experience life on your own. Ella had just gotten her license. We were throwing a little party. She invited some of her friends from school. Now, I understood that artsy children were weird, but some of these kids had tattoos and smoked weed. I didn’t want any drug use around Ella. She had grown up with violence and alcoholism and therefore was prone to it. I was afraid her friends might be a bad influence.

Ella had been enrolled in extra art classes but we also made her take something useful; economics. She was simultaneously taking business courses and art courses so she could start an art store. Graycen and I wanted her to be successful and make something out of her life. She needed practical skills now. We had a plan to teach her budgeting, finance, and how to fix her car herself. We would teach her self-defense and how to cook. She would be incredibly capable.

Ella’s friends sat on the couch and ate watermelon cake. Some Katy Perry pop song blasted while Ella laughed and danced. As the festive mood died down, Graycen served everyone Earl Grey tea. All the girls were curled up on top of each other like a pile of puppies. The clink of the ceramic plates seemed to echo like gunshots in the silence. I ran the sink and the sound of liquid on metal splashed onto the dreamy mood we had concocted.

“Ella seemed to be having fun,” I said.

“She’s growing up so fast,” Graycen said.

I handed him the dishes and we watched as the soap suds flew in companiable silence.

“I wish she’d stay little forever,” I said.

Graycen smiled. “She needs to grow up. She’s seventeen. Soon she’ll be going to college and moving out of the house.”

I didn’t want to think about that. A life without Ella. What would I do with myself?

A few days later a boy dropped Ella at the house after school. His blue beat-up car looked like it had been fished out of the junkyard. The bumper was rusting and it was missing a side mirror. Ella had the biggest grin as she closed the car door and stepped inside.

“What were you doing with that boy?” I asked.

She rolled her eyes and brushed past me. Her jacket smelled faintly of cigarette smoke. It wasn’t her. It was the boy or her friends I guessed.

“Talk to me young lady,” I pressed.

She cracked open a can of soda. “Jayden is just a friend, relax.”

“He’s a boy and boys only want one thing,” I said.

Ella looked at me as if I was dumb. She slurped her soda and I idly wondered if one day it wouldn’t be soda she drank after school but beer. She shouldn’t be liking boys at her age. She should be in school and studying and soaking up everything the world has to offer; except semen.

Later that night, I sat down with Graycen. The steaming mugs of tea and butter cookies warmed my icy thoughts. Ella and a boy was a sign of trouble.

“I think we should give her the talk, buy her condoms and lube, and maybe make an appointment with the OBGYN,” he said.

“No. No way. She’s just a little girl. She’s not ready for that.”

“She’ll decide if and when she’s ready, but we should prepare her in case. The alternative is she ends up pregnant. It’s a high school fling. She’ll be in college soon. She should be prepared,” Graycen said.

“No. What we should be preparing her for is heartbreak and that all men are liars,” I said.

“Daniel, don’t be stubborn. She’ll be fine.”

He took my hand in his and for a second, I believed him.

Until, a few weeks later, the boy and Ella came home together. They wanted to watch a movie. She snuggled closer to him. It was one of those things that couples do; that bubble where nothing can touch you and it’s the two of you against the world. Ella and her boyfriend had their own language. They could understand each other with a look. He knew when she was thirsty and grabbed her a soda. She knew when he was cold and wrapped the blanket snugly around him. They took care of each other. They had their own thing without me. It just wasn’t fair. I felt like a child who had his favorite game snatched away. Ella wasn’t mine anymore.

Graycen grabbed my hand and squeezed it so tight I swore it cut off circulation. I needed that. I could breathe again. My carefully crafted world was starting to crumble. A door creaked and Chantel poked her head out. We all sat in the kitchen with some beers. Ella’s laugh was like background music and the T.V. lights flickered blue and white.

“It’s good she has a boyfriend,” Chantel said. She gazed out towards the living room.

Graycen stepped on my toes. “Yes, it is,” I forced out.

“I think she should do study-abroad in college. We’ve saved enough to afford it. She could go somewhere like Paris or Nigeria or India. It would be good for her, I think,” Chantel said.

“Study abroad can be dangerous. She should be home where it’s safe,” I said.

“What is wrong with you, Daniel?” Graycen asked. His eyes narrowed as if searching me for bad intentions. He leaned close to me. He was inspecting and waiting for me to do something. I was too close to him to be able to hide.

“I just worry about her. I want her to be with us forever,” I said.

“I know but life continues on. I want her to leave this town. I want her to build a life away from here and create her own family. She needs to leave this dysfunctional, toxic place,” Chantel said.

From the other room, Ella laughed and gripped the boy’s arm. He smiled and kissed her forehead.

The next few weeks blurred into a year. Time and emotion became detached. Ella would be graduating high school with the boy.

It was a dark and stormy night. The roads were flooded. Ella’s boyfriend was coming down the mountain. He had been visiting his family over spring break. Ella was so excited to see him again. They had gotten into the same college. Ella and Jayden would be together forever.

“I’m going to the store,” I said.

I drove the car up the mountain. The wind and rain almost pushed me sideways and wrapped my car around a tree. The darkness was thick and potholes abundant. A car coming around the bend swerved and honked at me. What an asshole. Its lights were so bright I could hardly see. The reflections bounced around blinding me. Each car was a cycle of bright and dark. But I was looking for one car in particular. The blue beat-up gizmo that idiot drove. The sharp bend was coming up.

Perfect timing.

I revved the car and drove. Water parted around my car as if Moses himself was driving it. Blue. Bingo. I hit the tail end of his car as it passed me. I needed to protect Ella. Men were dangerous. His car spun and hit a tree. Glass sparkled on the ground like fresh snow.

The headlights flickered and the rain drowned out the noise in my head.

See: Chapter 21: Frayed Time