Good Representation in Narnia

 



Aravis Tarkheena is an underrated character in Narnia lore. While all the Narnia characters are nuanced, I love Aravis for being a brown, Indian/Arab princess who fights! She also has a interracial relationship with Cor, the Archenland Prince. Calormen is based off India and ancient Turkey. It has a polytheistic religion. Honestly pretty progressive for the time! I love how all the Narnia books have nuance and I didn’t realize until I was older just how multi-cultural the series actually is.

My other love for the series is through the Pevensie children who earned their titles. Lucy, the youngest, is known for sword fighting and dagger throwing and regularly accompanies her brothers into battles. Unlike Susan, who waits at home and earned the name Gentle. Lucy earned the name Valiant, meaning she had to do some extortionary feats to have that title. The Pevensie sibling relationship is unmatched only by the love of the Bridgerton siblings with each other. 

The other characters like Eustace who is a crotchety, insufferable boy turns into a great asset for Narnia and really changes his perspective. Foiled with Edmund, a Judas-like character, who completely sells out his family for power; Edmund guides Eustace and their cousinship is really underrated.

The various dynamics and timelines and crossovers make Narnia so appealing and it is something I have not found in more modern fantasy novels. Professor Kirke who was there when Narnia was created, is an old man when LWW takes place and his very wardrobe created from a Narnian tree, takes the Pevensies to Narnia where they defeat Jadis. Jadis, who originates from a parallel world and in Magician’s Nephew, Narnia is just one world, and there are many worlds all connected. The lore is amazing and just vague enough for perfect fanfics.

The characters in Narnia are full of hope and struggle. Many like Susan and Edmund go through loss and grief. Eustace struggles with being brave and understanding a completely foreign world. Caspian struggles with the legacy of his ancestors. The characters are great examples for kids who may struggle at trying new things. I like it when authors create books where each character gets fleshed out and yet they all coalesce and meet. The world building reflects everyone, young, old, and redeemed. The religious systems are interesting as well but that can be a different article!😆